Kidneys are the organs that get rid of toxin waste from our body. They are situated posterior side of our abdomen. Kidneys work with other organs of our body to increase RBC production, regulating blood pressure and helps in synthesizing critical Vitamin D. Why anybody has to go through the process of cleansing the kidneys? It is important to keep our kidneys healthy and clean. If you are -
- feeling fatigued or more tired than usual.
- you feel pain in your kidneys after eating certain foods
- you are experiencing skin problems like eczema, acne or rashes.
- you have a hormonal imbalance or feel extra moody.
- you have had kidney stones in the past.
- experiencing weight gain and bloating.
Ancient medicines like Ayurveda and home remedies combined has many such kidney cleansing juices.
1) Coriander water: Coriander or cilantro seeds are helpful in removing toxins. Boil 2 tsp of coriander seeds in 1 &1/2 cup water. Strain the water and drink two times a day.
2) Cranberry juice: Cranberries are powerful berries and has been touted for years as supporter for the urinary tract. Research shows that cranberries can help fight against urinary tract infections, possibly by decreasing the adhesion of bacteria to the bladder and urethra.
3) Lemon juice: Lemon being acidic protects kidney from developing kidney stones. The citrate level increase helps in this process. Squeeze 4-5 lemons into a quart of cold water and drink up. For a warming beverage, squeeze one quarter to one-half a lemon into 8 ounces of hot water daily & drink it throughout the day.
4) Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) : Roots of Shatavari has antioxidant that supports healthy kidney. It stimulates the immune system. Boil Shatavari root or root powder in water and drink ( half to one ounce).
5) Watermelon and lime: Try this – 2 cups of watermelon and juice of one lemon – mix both and blend & drink it. Watermelon is high in water content and potassium. It helps to remove small kidney stones. Together with lime, it gives good boost to body and also helps in cleansing kidneys.
6) Carrots & cucumber: To flush excess uric acid these two power packed vegetables are good. Prepare juice with 2 carrots & one cucumber. Drink to flush the excess toxins sitting in kidney.
7) Radish juice: Radishes are super detoxifiers for the liver and gallbladder, and help the kidneys flush out excess toxins. Mix one cup radish, one cup purple cabbage and one rib of celery. Add little water, prepare juice and have.
8) Spinach, kale and carrots: Add 15 leaves spinach, kale and two carrots and prepare juice with little water. Drink this juice. Packed with antioxidants, digestive fiber, iron – this juice detoxifies the body while cleansing both liver and kidney.
9) Try this mix to remove kidney stones : 1 cup pure maple syrup, 9 ounces extra virgin olive oil
9 ounces lemon (with peel), 9 ounces parsley root, 9 ounces raw organic honey
Scrub the lemon and cut into pieces with the peel still on, then put it in a blender and process. Next, clean and scrape the parsley root, cut it into chunks, add to blender and process in with the lemon. Then add the maple syrup, honey and olive oil and process once more until you get a smooth, well-blended mixture. You can store this is an airtight glass bottle in the refrigerator.
Finally, try these yoga pose that helps kidneys to be active.
1) This pose is called Squeezing and soaking action. Sit straight and stretch one leg to 45 degrees. Let the feet be flexed. Fold the other leg so that the feet touch the inner thigh of the stretched leg. Now, slowly breath and turn your torso towards the stretched leg and bend. Hold the pose and slowly breathe in and out. Repeat this on the other side too. While you bend and twist, we wring out the kidneys, getting rid of all the toxins and supplies oxygenated blood to the area.
2) If possible sit on your folded legs (similar to child pose but sitting straight). Fold both of your fists and place under your naval region. Now start bending towards the floor. While bending keep turning your fists in a way that fists massages the kidney and stomach. This again, activates the kidney and intestine – helps in easy removal of toxins.
3) Sit in easy pose on the mat or floor. While breathing slowly bend and bring your arms right side and hold the pose. Without lifting the heads up, slowly move the arms to center – your body is folded now in the center. Slowly move from center to left side and hold the pose. This pose not only stretches the side but also, acts on kidney, liver and intestinal parts.