- Cantaloupe of United States are actually the reticulated muskmelon. They have netted skin and strong sent.
- European counterpart is considered as true cantaloupe! They have smooth gray green skin.
- Cantaloupe originated in India and Africa and entered Europe eventually.
- The name is given after papal gardens of Armenia, as some historians belief that it is first grown in Papal Garden.
- Columbus introduced Cantaloupe to North America in 1494 and since the it is one of the popular melon in the United States.
- An average sized cantaloupe has 100 calories and still is sweet!
- Cantaloupe contains beta carotene, lutein, zea-xanthin and cryptoxanthin. It gives protection from cancer for the organs- colon, prostate, breast, lung, endometrium and pancreas.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: January 4, 2018