Neem tree is indigenous to India and to dry forest of south Asia. It is one of the highly medicinal plant.
Neem leaves, bark, stem, fruits, young shoots, flowers – all these parts are edible. Neem flowers has same medicinal properties as leaves. Flowers alongwith tender shoots are used as vegetables in India.
- In many parts of Tamil Nadu, India dried neem flowers are used thoughout the year. Along with turmeric and tamarind a dish namely “veppam poo rasam” or a traditional soup is made out of the flowers. Little bitter but the taste of this dish is delicious!.
- Fried dried flowers mixed with rice along with ghee and salt is a very tasty rice dish called “veppam poo saadam”.
- During new year celebrations neem flowers are used with homemade yogurt to make a dish called “pachadi”.
- Neem flowers with jaggery is consumed during new year day (Yugadi festival) and it symbolizes balancing of life during tough and happy time.
- For patients who are suffering from fever and lost their taste neem flower dishes are good.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: July 8, 2016