Around the world people are celebrating Holy month of Ramadan. After breaking the fast in the evening, people look forward for Iftar with great meal and good dessert. This is also season of apples. Apples are delicious fruits with many nutrition values. If someone brings lots of apples to your home, don’t worry about how to consume so many apples. You can make apple pie, smoothie or apple pickle. Apple halwa is a delicious dessert one should try for Iftar of this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare and can be stored for few days.
Ingredients: (Serving size : 4)
1. Apples: 7, peeled, sliced and diced
2. Ghee: Two Tbs (one can use butter too)
3. Water: One Tbs
4. Sugar: 8 Tbs (depends on sweetness of apple)
5. Almonds: 12 – peel and cut into half
6. Pistachios – 10-12, peel and cut into half
7. Cinnamon powder: One tsp
8. Vanilla powder : One tsp
9. Raisin: 1 Tbs
10. Saffron: A pinch
1. In a pan melt the ghee (or butter) and slightly heat.
2. Now add apples and fry for 4-5 minutes. When the apple turns to slightly brown and soft add a Tbs of water.
3. Cook apples in medium heat for about 15 minutes by covering the lid. Cook till the apple get together and thickens.
4. Now mash the apples using a spoon and stir. Add sugar and continue stirring till the contents in the pan starts to release from the pan.
5. While stirring, add cinnamon and vanilla powder followed by saffron.
6. See whether the mixture has become translucent around the edges. If so, remove the pan from the flame.
7. While the mix is hot, add raisin and mix . Meanwhile smear little oil or ghee on a plate to transfer halwa.
8. Transfer the hot halwa mix to the plate and form a 1 inch thick layer. Place almond and pistachio pieces on the poured halwa.
9. When halwa cools down cut it into small squares. It can be served while it is warm or can be stored in an air tight container for next 5 to 6 days.
Recipe, Image : www.werindia.com