Recipe by : Kalyani Kutagolla
(Kalyani Kutagolla lives with her family in Allentown, USA. She is known for her best vegetarian cooking recipes and cooking skills. Cooking is her hobby and she loves to customize the meals. Whether it is spicy meal, kids meal, traditional Indian cooking or sweets preparation, Kalyani is an expert and her skills are excellent. Expect more healthy and tasty recipes from Kalyani under this category)
Ingredients: (Quantity can serve four people)
1) One cup white rice
2) 5 medium sized tomatoes (sour tomatoes are preferred)
3) 6-8 Cloves
4) 8 Black peppers
5) 2-3 inches Cinnamon stick
6) 2 inches ginger (need to grate)
7) One big size onion
8) Half cup grated coconut
9) Three tb spoon clarified butter (Ghee) (Optional)
10) 4 spoon oil for frying the dry ingredients
11) Mustard, cumin, curry leaves & asafetida for seasoning.
12) Salt for taste
- Without removing the skin boil the tomatoes for 5 minutes. Allow them to cool and then remove the skin.
- By squeezing the tomatoes make tomato puree (from 5 tomatoes about 1 and half cup puree can be obtained)
- In a pressure cooker, heat the oil.
- To heated oil add mustard, cumin and curry leaves followed by broken red chilies and asafetida. To this, add grated ginger followed by long & thin cut onion*.
- Once the onion turns reddish brown, add 2 cups of water and tomato puree. Allow the mix to boil and to the boiling mix, add grated coconut followed by rice and salt.
- Remove the cooked rice, add clarified butter (optional), and mix the rice.
- Garnish tomato rice with finely cut coriander (cilantro) leaves.
- Serve with Cucumber salad.
* If more spice is needed one can add little red chilli powder while frying onion.
Image courtesy: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/SnP2ubc5Ids/hqdefault.jpg