Nipah name is originated from Sungai Nipah, a village in the Malaysian Peninsula where pig farmers became ill with encephalitis (1998). On this occasion, pigs were the intermediate hosts.
Tag: Nipah Virus Outbreak
Nipah virus infection can be prevented by avoiding exposure to sick pigs and bats in endemic areas and not drinking raw date palm sap.
Treatment is limited to supportive care. Because Nipah virus encephalitis can be transmitted person-to-person.
Diagnosis of a patient with a clinical history of NIV can be made during the acute and convalescent phases of the disease by using a combination of tests.
Transmission happens even from direct exposure to infected bats. Drinking contaminated date palm sap with bat excretions is known to cause disease outbreak in recent reports.
According to Center of Disease Control (CDC) “Symptoms of Nipah virus can begin with headache and drowsiness but quickly transform into a coma within a matter of days”.
Home range of Pteropus bats: Bhutan, Brunei, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Madagascar, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, PNG, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
Know about WeRIndia
- Did eating starchy foods give humans an evolutionary advantage?
- Children with autism, developmental delays nearly 50 percent more likely to be overweight, obese
- New approach for controlling dengue fever and Zika virus
- Nutrition has a greater impact on bone strength than exercise
- Diets rich in fish oil could slow the spread and growth of breast cancer cells
- Moving location of fruit and vegetables can lead to 15 percent sales increase