Nipah name is originated from Sungai Nipah, a village in the Malaysian Peninsula where pig farmers became ill with encephalitis (1998). On this occasion, pigs were the intermediate hosts.
Tag: Nipah Virus Outbreak
Nipah virus infection can be prevented by avoiding exposure to sick pigs and bats in endemic areas and not drinking raw date palm sap.
Treatment is limited to supportive care. Because Nipah virus encephalitis can be transmitted person-to-person.
Diagnosis of a patient with a clinical history of NIV can be made during the acute and convalescent phases of the disease by using a combination of tests.
Transmission happens even from direct exposure to infected bats. Drinking contaminated date palm sap with bat excretions is known to cause disease outbreak in recent reports.
According to Center of Disease Control (CDC) “Symptoms of Nipah virus can begin with headache and drowsiness but quickly transform into a coma within a matter of days”.
Home range of Pteropus bats: Bhutan, Brunei, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Madagascar, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, PNG, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
Know about WeRIndia
- Students more likely to eat school breakfast when given extra time, new study finds
- How can people speed up dilation?
- Can a person get pregnant while taking the pill?
- Moderate carbohydrate intake may be best for health, study suggests
- More protein after weight loss may reduce fatty liver disease
- Obesity, infertility and oxidative stress in mouse egg cells