Super Brain Yoga is an ancient yogic exercise. It is a simple yet powerful technique used to fuel and sustain a healthy brain in order to enhance the capability of the brain to retain and process information.
Originally the great Rishis (saints) of India developed this technique to increase the intelligence of the public using the principle of ear acupuncture points. Thoppu Karanam is the common name for this posture (Tamil launguage). It means to hold the ears. From ancient times, this practice has been evident in the Indian Culture, where people practice this in front of the image of the Lord Ganapathy (a symbolic representation of supreme energy in the form of an elephant which actually signifies wisdom). This posture is connected with the brain. “Ga” representing Intelligence, “Na” representing Wisdom and “Pathy” representing – Master, so ideally meaning of Ganapathy means Master of Wisdom and Intelligence. It is said that this practice is a request to stimulate the wisdom and intelligence. It is also said that the practice has been evident in the ancient Gurukula Systems, where the teachers or Gurus asked their pupils to practice this technique in order to stimulate and energize the brain and its functions. In fact, the practice of ear piercing too has its real reasons being the stimulation of the pituitary and pineal glands, due to the effect of the pressure in the ear lobes.
Today this practice has been re invented by some enthusiasts and is promoted in many parts of the world as “Super Brain Yoga” and more and more people are taking to it. Dr. Eric Robins, a medical doctor in Los Angeles, calls it “a fast, simple, drug-free method of increasing mental energy” and prescribes it for his patients. He speaks of one student who raised his grades from C’s to A’s in the space of one semester.
Some of the benefits of Super brain Yoga are:
- Better Memory and Concentration.
- Improved IQ, EQ and SQ.
- Increased Creativity and Mental Clarity.
- Increased Self-motivation.
- Greater Psychological Stability and Peace.
- Improved Social and Communication Skills.
- Brighter Aura and Energy Centers
Helps children in various ways:
- The children are more focused and ready to work.
- The children are displaying improved emotional states.
- The child displaying bizarre behaviours appears to have a normal behaviour.
- The memory and retention of new information appears to have improved.
- The entire dynamic of the class has improved dramatically.
Steps to perform super brain yoga posture:
- Take your left hand and grab hold of your right earlobe with thumb in front.
- Now take your right hand and grab of your left earlobe. Again, make sure that the thumb is in front. At this point you’re pressing both earlobes simultaneously.
- Inhale through your nose and slowly squat down to the ground.
- Hold your breath and do not exhale until you start making your way back up to a standing position.
- Repeat this squatting action 10, 12, or 21 times.
Image courtesy: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: September 29, 2015