If a person is undergoing stress and anxiety body will also respond to the feelings. When we are stressed out, angry, upset or sad body tries to tell us something by reacting to these feelings. People who are undergoing through stress and anxiety often develop high blood pressure, diabetes, stomach ulcer, rashes, hair falling, weight gain or loss. These physical conditions are related to how our mind is thinking and feeling. This connection of mind and body is very delicate.
Some of the physical sign a person can develop during stress are:
- Back pain
- Change in appetite
- Chest pain
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Dry mouth
- Extreme tiredness
- General aches and pains
- High blood pressure
- Sexual problems
- Breathing problem
- Stiff neck
- Weight gain or loss
- Too much eating
- Cold and infections
Learning how to cope up with stress is important for our health. Weak emotional health results in poor immune system. When the immune system is down simple conditions becomes unbearable to manage. Cold and infections can go beyond control, chronic pain can aggravate, any exercise may not help the body to energize or one may not feel like exercising at all. Alcohol, tobacco and other drug abuses are many times results of emotional health. Researchers also believe that if mind is not happy then the body where the mind lives is also not happy. We cannot avoid things that are going to happen or what has happened but we need to learn how to be happy to keep our selves healthy.
Remember when we are stressed out bodies pump out hormones. These hormones job is not necessarily to be harmful but can help body to recovery. However, if the stress is too long and if reaches a point where body cannot handle it then people will get sick. These hormones weaken the immune system’s ability to fight sickness.
How to overcome stress?
1) Take time off for yourself and learn to relax- Things can wait. Sometimes we all need that time where we can be alone and not disturbed. While alone, you will get some breathing time for yourself, to think about yourself and to come out from the bad mood. It is like rebooting computers and recharging the cell phone!
2) Talk to a person who can listen to you and understands you (without spreading gossips). If the stress is because of someone’s actions – keep away from the person or talk it over. Communication helps a lot!
3) Be with people who talks positive and will show you the positive aspects of a problem.
4) Read good books, watch something that keeps you encouraged and takes your mind off.
5) Visit nature and spend time with pets – Pets care about you- no matter what. Take your dog for walk in nature or play with your pets to take your mind out of the stress.
6) Exercise – as they say people who exercise daily are happy people. Exercise takes out your stress. It helps to improve mood and changes the body’s stress response.
7) Of course, then there is yoga and meditation – It is important to find inner peace and calmness in a place. We should be able to visit this place almost every day. Yoga helps you to reconnect with mind. Every muscle in the body that is undergoing through tension has to be relaxed. Breath in and out – learn to breath in yoga way. You will really feel good and do not forget to carry that calmness out of the yoga class with you.
8) Spend time with family and friends – go out for dinner or lunch. Laugh and have good dessert. Remember- it is not about eating or going out. It is about spending quality time with family and friends who understands you and who will help you to relax.
9) Here is another old fashioned solution – SCREAM ! Yes, this is one of the recommendations. Screaming has proven to drain stress levels! Make sure to select a place where you can and will be able to scream and yell. Breathe in, breath out and scream. In order to let go of our emotions, that is sitting inside and bothering us it is a good way to let go through screaming and crying.
In life, everybody goes through the stress. The intensity of stress may be different. It is always not possible to solve the problem immediately. Most of our stresses are due to family, work, abuses, unemployment, friends, unable to reach goal, love failure etc. Time is a healing factor and solution will emerge when we are calm and when we look at things in a different angle (in a positive way). It is important to learn to how to overcome stress and calm our mind so that, our body feels good and healthy.