Examples of Holistic medicinal benefits of different herb
- Cucumber (Cucurbita sativus)
- Pineapple (Ananas comosus)
- Papaya (Carica papaya)
- Methi (Fenugreek)
- Aloe Vera
- Pomegranate (Punica granatum)
- Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica)
- Mint (Mentha piperita)
- Black Pepper (Piper nigrum)
- Shikakai (Acacia coccina)
- Garlic (Allium sativum)
- Onion (Allium cepa)
- Basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum)
- Bitter Gourd (Momordica charantia)
- Neem (Azardiracta indica)
- Cinnamom (Syzigium aromaticum)
- Amla: Indian gooseberry (Phyllanthus emblica)
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
- Hing (Asafoetida)
- Jeera or Cumin seeds
- Dhania or coriander or cilantro
1. Cucumber (Cucurbita sativus):
There are many varieties of cucumbers. Some are used for only to prepare spicy dishes (with curd and masala) and some are only for salads. Do you know? There is a variety of cucumber in India called “Dosa kai” and it can be stored for outside (without refrigerator) by hanging in the roof up to a year? In Western countries cucumbers are used to prepare pickle. There are many uses of cucumber- topical as well as can be eaten for to get many health benefits.
1. Reducing fat content: Consumption of cucumber helps in burning fat. It helps in reducing the puffiness that happens because of fat accumulation in various parts of the body.
2. Cures giddiness, nausea and headache: Cucumbers are rich in many nutrients like Vitamin B, good sugar and those nutrients that helps in balancing the electrolytes of the system. Cucumber juices helps in reducing giddiness, nausea and related headache.
3. Energy booster: Presence of Vitamin B and right amount of sugar with natural water content makes cucumber a good source of energy. Instead of going for caffeine drinks, drink cucumber juice with little lime juice and it helps to boost the energy.
4. For rejuvenation of skin and for sun burn: Sliced cucumber can be used for skin rejuvenation. Place sliced cucumber on sun burn areas and it will help to cure those burns. Even for children this safe to use.
5. Blood pressure: Consuming cucumbers often helps in improving blood pressure by reducing the cholesterol level.
6. For constipation: Eating raw cucumber always helps. Try with other salad vegetables or eat cucumber to get relief from constipation.
2. Pineapple (Ananas comosus):
Pineapple is tropical fruit and has many benefits. It is rich in vitamin C, bromealin. Bromelain is a mixture of enzymes found in pineapples that digest protein (proteolytic).
1. Eating Pineapple controls and cures chronic acidity and indigestion related ailments.
2. When we drink Pineapple juice with a few drops of honey, it reduces fever through sweating.
3. Pineapple contains Manganese, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C and copper. It provides good source of dietary fiber that helps in relieving symptoms of constipation.
4. Expedites recovery after surgery and provides protection against macular degeneration.
5. Is an excellent antioxidant source.
6. Pineapples contain bromelain, an enzyme with anti-inflammatory properties. It fights infections and kills bacteria.
7. It relieves cough very effectively than many branded cough syrups.
3. Papaya (Carica papaya):
The tall trees of papaya grow 10 to 25 feet that bear large oval shaped fruit, which is green in the raw state and yellow to lighter shade red when ripe. The raw papaya contains milk like substance. As for the medicinal purposes, the fruit, milk, seeds and the leaves come to use.
1. Balancing doshas: According to Ayurveda papaya is a destroyer of the vata and kapha doshas.
2. Natural tonic: Papaya is a natural source of several vitamins, minerals and digestive enzymes.
3. Blood pressure treatment: The fruit could benefit by increasing the blood pressure as well as the blood sugar levels. This is highly suggestive for those suffering from the symptoms of fatigue.
4. Digestive aid: The fruit of papaya contains some digestive enzymes that benefit by easy absorption and assimilation of food.
5. Diuretic: Papaya diet is advisable in the urinary disorders in which there is a decrease in the normal flow of urine.
6. For lactating mothers: According to Ayurveda, , the lactating mothers need to supplement the fruit in their daily diet regimen. This could result into a better production of milk.
7. Local application: The milk from a raw papaya is a holder of anti-infection and anti-toxic properties. For mouth and tongue ulcers, try applying the milk on the sores for relief.
8. Remedy for joint pains: The seeds and leaves of papaya are believed to be helpful in decreasing pain and swelling.
9. For diabetic patients: Daily consumption of papaya is good for high sugar levels. This is considered as diabetic friendly fruit.
10. Recent studies show that papaya leaves extract can cure dengue fever!
4. Fenugreek (Methi):
Methi or Fenugreek is an herb that is commonly found growing in the Mediterranean region of the world. While the seeds and leaves are primarily used as a culinary spice, it is also used to treat a variety of health problems many parts of the world.
In India fenugreek is a common ingredient of masala powders. Fenugreek seeds contain protein, vitamin C, niacin, potassium, and diosgenin (compound that has properties similar to estrogen) and plants supplies alkaloids, lysine and L-tryptophan, as well as steroidal.
1. In Asian traditional methods (Ayurveda and Chinese medicine) fenugreek used for treating arthritis, asthma, bronchitis, to improve digestion and to maintain a healthy metabolism. It is also used for treating conditions like – libido and male potency, cure skin problems ( treat sore throat, and cure acid reflux.
2. It is considered as a best source for women health as it is known to induce labor, brings hormonal balance, prevents breast enlargement, and reduces menstrual pain.
3. Fenugreek helps in lowering blood glucose and cholesterol levels, and may be an effective treatment for both type 1 and 2 diabetes. It is also being studied for its cardiovascular benefits.
4. Balancing cholesterol: Roasted seed powder can be sprinkled onto prepared food, or they can be consumed with water (overnight soaking helps) to control cholesterol level.
5. Diabetes and lowering blood sugar level: Studies have shown that participants with type 2 diabetes had significantly lower blood sugar levels after eating fenugreek seeds.
6. Skin benefits: Research has shown that Fenugreek is an effective topical treatment for skin problems such as abscesses, boils, burns, eczema, and gout.
7. Heartburn and acid reflux: Fenugreek seeds contain after soaking releases mucilage and it helps to intestinal inflammation. To get this benefit one must soak a teaspoon seeds overnight and drink the water morning in empty stomach or before any meal.
8. Use for lactating mother: Fenugreek has been known to increase milk production in lactating women.
9. Hair care: Fenugreek powder with hibiscus leaves helps in preventing hair loss.
5. Aloe vera :
A magical and wonderful house hold plant is Aloe vera, commonly known as Aloe. It has many health benefits.
For external remedies:
1. For various types of wounds: Fresh aloe juice helps to reduce swelling and speed healing.
2. Aloe gel helps to reduce acne.
3. For psoriasis: Aloe gel mixed with almond oil has been found to have a beneficial effect.
4. For burns: Apply the cut surface of a leaf to all types of burns. Healing with this rapid and the scarring is reduced.
5. Apply aloe juice to scalp and hair and leave it overnight covered with a think towel. It protects the natural oils from the hair and reduces effects of chemical shampoos.
6. For skin treatment: Fresh aloe juice can be applied as a face pack daily for half an hour, and then wash the face. This makes a marvelous skin tonic.
6. Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
The east has long known the goodness of this root and has been using it in their cooking regularly. Many Indian dishes have this root as an important ingredient as they know the benefit of this wonderful plant.
1. This helps reduce nausea by blocking serotonin receptors in the stomach that cause nausea.
2. Ginger has Terpenes and Oleoresin. It inhibits the same blood thickening enzyme as aspirin and does this naturally.
3. It is highly recommended for its anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Anti-oxidants help strengthen heart muscle and lower serum cholesterol.
5. Ginger decreases or interferes with cholesterol biosynthesis.
6. Patients who suffer from arthritis and osteoporosis can have Ginger to help reduce pain.
7. It is also known to have properties to regulate blood sugar helping diabetics.
8. A well known remedy that it can provide is for cold and cough relief. It is know to help sore throats. For Cold and Cough – In traditional methods, tea containing ginger, honey and lime combinations known to heal cold and cough and sinus problems.
7. Sandalwood :
Mysore Sandalwood Tree – Image Courtesy aromatheraphy4soul.com
Indian Sandal Wood or the Santalum album is a tree species whose existence is threatened. This type of wood is indigenous to south India. The wood from this tree has a sweet fresh fragrance used in perfumes, soaps, talcum powder and other cosmetic products. Sandal wood from the Mysore region of India is supposed to be the highest quality available.
Aborigines in Australia have been known to have consumed fruits and nuts of sandal tree knowing the benefits. In India sandal has been extensively used in Hindu religious rituals. Ayurveda, the Indian medical system has also used sandal paste and sandal oil for several thousands of years. They have used it to treat mental illnesses. Sandal also holds a special value in Buddhism and is believed to bring inner peace and tranquility.
Benefits of sandalwood:
1. Sandal’s natural fragrance is considered to bring inner peace and relieve mental stress. It is widely used in aromatherapy.
2. Sandal has Alpha and Beta-Santalol. This is a very good anti-microbial. Essential Sandal Oil is added in soaps for this purpose.
3. Alpha-Santalol is supposed have anti-cancer properties. Test on animals have proved it to be very effective against cancer.
4. It is also a very good anti-septic. Sandal paste and oil can both be applied to skin infections. Mixed with either coconut oil or sesame oil, it can also be applied to help stop itching.
5. Sandal is a diuretic. Relieves body of toxins.
6. Sandal Powder is a natural antipyretic. The application of sandal helps in subside body heat and also brings renewed fragrance to the body.
7. Sandal is a great product for skin care. It helps soothe sun burns, dry’s pimples faster.
8. Pomegranate (Punica granatum)
Pomegranate is the most powerful anti-oxidant fruit of all. It is one of the best, nutrient dense foods for overall good health. These clinical findings clearly show a correlation between pomegranate compounds and their positive effect on both human and animal cardiovascular, nervous, and skeletal health. This is fruit should not be excluded from your diet!
1. An Antioxidant power House: The antioxidants found in pomegranate are excellent at fighting free-radicals which cause various types of diseases and premature ageing.
2. Promotes A healthy heart: The heart benefits from the antioxidants by receiving more oxygen, which can help prevent heart disease.
3. It also reduces bad LDL cholesterol levels, so keeping arteries from clotting and helping to prevent atherosclerosis, stroke and heart attacks.
4. Osteoarthritis: Pomegranate fruits can inhibit enzyme that promotes cartilage deterioration.
5. Fights cancer: Research conducted on mice shows that, antioxidant nature of pomegranate juice helps in fighting certain forms of cancer including breast, skin and prostate cancer.
6. For lowering blood pressure: To reduce blood pressure drinking about 1.7 ounces of pomegranate juice per day helps.
7. Good for Your Teeth: Research has shown that the antibacterial compounds found in pomegranate juice may be a natural way to prevent dental plaque.
9. Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica):
Brahma-Buti, Brahma-Manduki, Centellase, Divya, Gota Kola, Hydrocotyle asiatica, Hydrocotyle Asiatique, Indian Pennywort, Indian Water Navelwort – all these names are given to this beautiful plant.
Centella asiatica benefits: If you are in India, probably you will see a runner plant often on roadsides and paddy fields or in farms that have beautiful heart shaped leaves with tender stems. These plants are known as Centella asiatica, or as gotu kola, is an annual herb native to India, Australia and Asia.
1. Its leaves are eaten as a vegetable and it is an important herb in the traditional medicine systems of these places. Research has revealed support for several of Centella asiatica’s purported health benefits.
2. Gotu Kola is a rejuvenating nervine and recommended for nervous disorders, epilepsy, senility and premature aging. As a brain tonic, it is said to aid intelligence and memory.
3. Grandmothers and native herbalists often suggest to young parents to feed gotu kola leaves to their kids to improve kid’s memory.
4. It also, strengthens the adrenal glands and cleanses the blood to treat skin impurities. It contains, asiaticoside comound that helps in skin repair and improves health of hair, nails and connective tissue.
5. In India, Gotu kola is regarded as perhaps the most spiritual of all herbs. Growing in some areas of the Himalayas, gotu kola is used by yogis to improve meditation.
6. Mental Functioning: Gotu kola can treat mental decline that occurs in old age because of its ability to protect blood vessels carrying oxygen to the brain. It also can help improve memory and concentration.
7. Wounds, Scarring and Psoriasis: Gotu kola promotes skin-cell and connective-tissue regeneration because it contains saponin, a substance that stimulates collagen formation.
10. Mint (Mentha piperita)
Mint herb is native to Europe, and cultivated in almost all the regions of the world. There are more than 20 varieties of mint species are available with a wide range of color, fragrance, and flavor.
Health benefits of peppermint:
1. Mint is composed of many phytochemicals that are known to have been anti-oxidant, disease-preventing and health promoting properties.
2. The mint herb contains no cholesterol: It is rich in essential oils, vitamins and dietary fiber, which helps to control blood cholesterol and blood pressure inside the human body.
3. It contain essential oils that are volatile like menthol, menthone, menthol acetate. These These chemical compounds acts on cold-sensitive receptors in the skin, mouth and throat, the property which is responsible for the natural cooling-sensation of the system.
4. Menthol also acts as an analgesic /painkiller. Many painkiller that are topical has mint as an ingredient.
5. It is an excellent source of minerals like potassium, calcium, iron, manganese and magnesium.
11. Black pepper (Piper nigrum):
It is essential ingredient of an Indian kitchen and thus it is handy and useful in treating several common ailments.
Black Pepper or pepper (commonly known as ) is specified in Ayurveda terms as -
- Deepniye i.e stimulates the gastric fire
- Krimighana i.e. acts as a wormicide (eradicates abdominal worms)
- Shool Prashmana i.e. pain destroyer.
Health benefits of black pepper
1. It is a great source in traditional khashyam that reduces regular cough.
2. Can be used to bring down fever – drinking khashayam supplemented with black pepper, jeera, coriander seeds with little milk helps a lot.
3. Good source to extract and get relief from dried phlegm.
4. Massaging black pepper on teeth helps in relieving toothache and helps to stay clean of the dental problems.
5. Relief from sinus: Sniffing the equal amount of powders of black pepper, cardamom, cumin seeds and cinnamon helps in releasing sinus.
6. For loss of appetite: Taking a small quantity of black pepper with a glass of buttermilk or mixing pepper powder with hot rice and ghee helps.
7. For chronic Bronchitis: Chewing Tulsi leaves along with some black pepper and honey is useful for bronchitis.
8. Skin ailments:. For pimples and boils on the skin -applying little black pepper powder with ghee can help.
9. Cure for indigestion: Black pepper and other herbs like thyme, fennel, coriander, cumin seeds and asafetida helps in solving this condition too.
12. Shikakai (Acacia coccina):
Shikakai is a small tree with black pods and mainly used for hair care. It contains in vitamin C, as well as vitamins A, D, E and K, which act as antioxidants and are essential for healthy and rapid hair growth. Shikakai has very low pH levels, means it helps in keeping natural oils in the hair. Do you know? Shikakai is one of the main ingredient in many shampoo products?
How Shikakai helps hair growth?
1. It works as a shampoo and detangler at the same time.
2. Prevents dandruff : Fruits boiled in water and the extract used as shampoo, nourishes hair, making it grow faster and stronger.
3. Can be used as shampoo, face cleanser and body soap. This means there will be less bottles taking up precious shower space.
4. Strengthens and conditions hair.
5. Keeps hair moisturized and shiny.
6. Protects the scalp from fungal infections and even hair lice.
7. Helps delay the appearance of gray hairs.
8. Strengthens hair roots.
9. It also increases bounciness and silkiness of hair.
13. Garlic (Allium sativum):
Garlic have been known to have many health benefits. One garlic clove (raw) eaten every morning helps in controlling and bringing down many conditions. Generally garlic is used in traditional medicine for following reasons.
1. Garlic is good for cardiovascular system, coronary heart conditions, high blood pressure.
2. Can benefit in controlling colon cancer, rectal cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer. It is also used to treat prostate cancer and bladder cancer.
3. Garlic has been tried and tested for treating diabetes, hay fever, and travelers’ diarrhea. .
4. Common conditions such as cold, flu, bronchitis, headaches, fever, coughs, sinus, congestion can be treated with garlic and it helps in improving the immunity system of the body.
5. It has also been used to treat tick bites, preventing and treating bacterial and fungal infections.
6. Other usage of garlic includes treatment to stomach aches, asthma, gout, rheumatism, hemorrhoids and shortness of breaths.
7. Garlic fights against fatigue and helps in maintaining healthy liver function of the body.
8. It has anti-microbial property and can be used for curing infections such as E. coli.
14. Onion (Allium cepa):
Onion is one herb that every household use because of its taste and added flavor to dishes. Onion helps in various ailments and can prevent several conditions.
1. Cardiovascular health: The quercetin in onions may help to prevent plaque buildup in the arteries, which reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
2. Anti-inflammatory: Sulphur present in onion may be effective as anti-inflammatory agents.
3. Immune system: The quercetin reduces allergic reactions by stopping our body from producing histamines, which are what makes us sneeze, cry and itch.
4. Cancer prevention: Onion’s Quercetin is a powerful anti-cancer agent.
5. Digestion: The fiber in onions promotes good digestion and helps in motion.
6. Regulating blood sugar: Daily consumption of one small size onion boiled/steamed/baked helps in reducing blood sugar level
7. Bone density in women: Onion improves bone density during menopause stage in women!
15. Basil (Ocimum tenuiflorum)
The medicinal value and beauty of this sacred plants is very well knows aspect in Holistic medicine.
1. Protects cells from free radical damage and cholesterol because being rich in beta-carotene and other carotenoids.
2. Being an excellent source of Magnesium, basil promotes better sleep, relaxes the nervous system, enables the body to form bigger, flexible and stronger muscles, remineralizes the bones and teeth, relieves constipation.
3. Reforms blood flow throughout the body and improves cardiovascular health
4. Because of the unique essential oils in it, basil is the best treatment for skin problems such as dry skin, acne, psoriasis etc.
5. Antioxidant and flavonoids helps in defending several types of cancers
6. Helps in fighting microorganisms by strengthening immune system.
7. It has anti-spasmodic features, and can be used to treat stomach cramps.
8. Do you know? It is one of the best remedies for constipation – prepare tea using basil leaves and helps in motion.
9. It’s extracts made from leaves can boost wound healing speed and strength.
10. Presence of holy basil itself can release stress. The fragrance of leaves and the fresh air that it releases has soothing effect.
11. Brain booster! Extracts made from the root of holy basil has de-stressing capabilities.
16. Bitter gourd (Momordica charantia):
Fruit may be bitter but this is an excellent herb for diabetes and other conditions.
1. Lowers blood glucose levels: Bitter gourd treatments of cell cultures or feeding trials with laboratory animals such as mice or rats show bitter gourd does have blood glucose lowering properties.
2. Bitter gourd juice reduces the amount of glucose that is released into the blood by inhibiting the enzymes that break down disaccharides to two monosaccharides.
3. Bitter gourd can play a role in the prevention of insulin-independent diabetes or adult onset diabetes.
4. Bitter gourd prevents diabetic complications
5. Consuming bitter gourd can help prevent complications that are related to diabetes -inflammation of the whole body, blindness, diabetic feet, kidney disease, stroke, or heart attack.
6. For overweight patients with Type II diabetes, bitter gourd can help to improve health.
17. Neem (Azardiracta indica)
This evergreen tree from India has numerous health benefits and occupies front position in holistic medicine.
1. Dry neem flower is edible – adding salt and black pepper with little ghee makes it a tasty dish (similar to chutney) and helps in releasing constipation and brings back the lost taste.
2. External application of neem paste is a good remedy for ringworm, eczema.
3. High in beneficial fatty acids, other topical neem advantages include the decrease of redness and the numbing of pain, whether in reaction to sores, burns, or lacerations.
4. Antiviral and antibacterial property: Neem leaves extracts prevents microbes and its growth in the body system. In many traditional houses one can see the practice of hanging neem leaves bunches from the roof in Indian villages.
5. Antifungal: Research studies have shown that neem leaf are hazardous to fungus. Antifungal property of neem is due to two compounds, nimbidol and edunin.
6. Oral health: Neem’s powerful antibacterial activity makes it a well-known ingredient in toothpaste, mouthwash, and oral health tonics .Both oils and aqueous extracts of neem comprise strong antiseptic compounds; these may destroy the bacteria that cause cavities, halitosis, and gum disease.
7. Reproductive health: It acts as a birth control agent! it reduces fertility in both women and men without affecting sexual performance or libido. Neem is spermicide and can prevent sexually transmitted diseases/infections.
8. Arthritis: Helps in reducing arthritis pain and it might help provide long term treatment for individuals with chronic debilitating conditions like fibromyalgia.
18. Cinnamom (Syzigium aromaticum):
Cinnamon is a evergreen plant – small to medium sized tree with leaves and barks that gives sweet and spicy fragrance. There are many studies and reports to show that cinnamom is medicinally important. It belongs to guava family.
1. It regulates blood sugar, making it a great choice for diabetics and in hypoglycemics.
2. It reduces LDL cholesterol levels. Reducing LDL helps in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Drinking cinnamon tea every morning helps in bringing down cholesterol level.
3. Cinnamon has natural anti-infectious compounds that fights against different types of infections.
4. It reduces pain linked to arthritis.
5. It is a natural food preservative.
6. It contains fiber, calcium, iron, and manganese.
7. Cinnamon powder is also known to be effective for reducing menstrual pain and infertility.
19. Amla: Indian gooseberry (Phyllanthus emblica)
Amla is a very good source of vitamin C. It has both culinary as well as medicinal uses. Fruits can be made into pickles, morabba (with honey or brown sugar), juice and prepare chutney. Traditional uses of amla include:
1. During summer season, this juice keeps your skin cool by sorting out heat from the body.
2. For oral health: Daily intake of amla juice wards off bad breath and strengthens teeth. Gargling water with amla juice can provide relief from painful mouth ulcers.
3. Reduce arthritis pain: The anti-inflammatory properties in amla juice help in reducing the swelling in the joints caused by arthritis.
4. Relieve stress & insomnia: Amla juice is effective in curing insomnia. Take fresh amla juice with a mixture of coarse powder of nutmeg to reduce insomnia.
5. Improving eyesight: Regular intake of amla juice helps in improving eyesight and nearsightedness as well as controls the onset of cataracts.
6. Controls diabetes: Amla juice taken with turmeric powder and honey helps in controlling diabetes.
7. Relieves asthma and bronchitis: Amla juice with honey – consuming this twice daily, can relieve asthma and bronchitis complications.
8. Amla juice helps in reducing unwanted fat by promoting protein intake through system.
9. Relieves constipation: Amla juice helps in relieving constipation caused due to piles. It also regulates the bowel movements and cures chronic constipation.
10. Treatment of gastric disorders: Amla juice is great for gastric disorders and burning sensation in abdomen.
11. Blood purifier: Amla juice acts as a blood purifier by flushing out toxins from the body.
The word triphala consists of two Sanskrit words -Tri means three and phala means fruits. It is a combination of three best known healthy fruits -
- Amla or the Indian gooseberry (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki or the Chebulic Myrobalans (Terminalia chebula)
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia Bellirica)
Benefits of triphala:
1) Good laxative and stimulates the digestive system
2) Cleanses colon – helps in releasing constipation condition.
3) It has Anti-inflammatory and healing Properties
4) Highly Antioxidant
5) Excellent for eye problems
6) Good remedy to get back clear vision
7) It has Detoxifying Properties
8) Consuming Triphala also gives healthy and glowing skin and shiny and beautiful hair as well.
How to use Triphala churna: One can take triphala in powder form. One can drink with water or can add with juice or honey. Triphala is also available in the form of capsules.
21. Turmeric (Curcuma longa):
Another holistic, magical herb from India is Turmeric. It is considered as super-spice due to presence of invaluable nutrients. It supports the immune system and is an important addition in cooking. Curcumin is the name of the compound that is responsible for the medicinal properties of turmeric.
Medicinal uses of turmeric:
1. A volatile oil in the spice is as effective in relieving pain, under laboratory conditions, as equal amounts of steroids.
2. Curcumin in turmeric helps prevent hardening of the arteries in people who have diabetes,
3. Turmeric is used for arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), stomach pain, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomach bloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems and gallbladder disorders.
4. It is used as a remedy for various conditions such as headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, and cancer. Apart from these conditions like depression, Alzheimer’s disease, water retention, worms, and kidney problems are also known to be treated by turmeric.
5. Some people apply turmeric to the skin for pain, ringworm, bruising, leech bites, eye infections, inflammatory skin conditions, soreness inside of the mouth, and infected wounds.
6. It can be used externally in poultices to soothe skin and reduce inflammation. It is often used in lotions or preparations for skin with eczema or psoriasis.
7. When incorporated into the diet it can be helpful for reducing inflammation in those with arthritis.
8. Turmeric can be made into a paste with water or honey to make a skin scrub that cools inflammation and helps stop acne.
9. Externally, a paste of turmeric and Aloe vera gel can ease pain and itching from burns, bites, chicken pox, poison ivy, or eczema.
10. It is wonderful to add to grilled foods, curries, spicy soups, vegetables, mashed potato, sauces, and milk.
11. Turmeric’s high antioxidant content makes it beneficial for the skin and it is used in some natural sunscreens and creams.
12. Turmeric is said to be great for the skin and can be used in facial washes and scrubs to soothe skin and even out skin tone.
13. Turmeric paste can be used in the removal of unwanted facial hair along with lemon, honey.
14. Many people take it as a supplement to help reduce inflammation and pain, especially those with arthritis or other inflammatory conditions.
22. Asafoetida or Hing:
Hing or asafetifda is one of the important herbal ingredient of Indian cooking. Spicy dishes, saambar, rasam, raita, snacks will have this as an ingredient.
1. For stomach disorders: Asafoetida is an amazing spice to treat flatulence and expelling wind.
2. For stings: Asafoetida is very beneficial in treating stings of bees, wasps etc. The paste of can be applied as a poultice on the affected area and should be allowed to dry for the bite wounds to heal.
3. For ear ache: Asafoetida is also very effective in treating ear ache /ear pain. It is one of the effective remedies for ear pain that has been practiced for years.
4. For Menstrual pain & cramps: Asafoetida is fried in a low flame and powdered and added to the buttermilk along with little bit of sugar and given to women with menstrual pain and it really helps.
5. For tooth ache: Paste of asafetida helps in reducing tooth ache. To prepare paste – add asafetida and lemon juice in a mortar and pestle and apply with the help of a ear bud on the affected tooth.
6. For pimples: A pinch of asafoetida powder can be mixed with water and applied over the acne spots. Regular application will gradually cure acne flares. Caution: do a small patch test before applying the paste.
7. For skin problems: Asafoetida is also very effective in treating skin blemishes. Facial mask made with asafetida powder and home made curd will greatly reduce age spots in the skin.
8. For cough: A paste made by grinding asafetida in water applied on the chest is a good home remedy to relieve cough.
23. Jeera or Cumin seeds:
Yet another very important ingredient of Indian cooking and every house hold has this ingredient in their kitchen namely jeera or cumin seeds. It belongs to coriander family.
1. Drinking luke warm jeera water is considered as to rehydrate the human body and keep refresh all the time.
2. It helps in improving the saliva secretion, enhancing appetite and relieving the digestive disorders.
3. It also provides relief from the chills, reduce swellings, relieve breathing difficulties, regulate bowel movements, relief joint infections, treat umbilical hernia, treat intestinal diseases, eyes problems and toothache.
4. It helps to get rid from the constant crying in the children.
5. Eating cumin seeds in food and drink its water improves the breast feeding in the lactating mother.
6. It manages the proper blood content in the body and lowers the blood sugar level in the blood.
7. Because of its richness in the iron content, it helps in treating the anaemia by maintaining the haemoglobin content of the blood.
8. It increases the blood haemoglobin level thus enhances the oxygen carrying capacity of the cells throughout the body.
9. Jeera/Cumin seeds act as a good bronchodilator and have a compound called Thymoquinone which helps in reducing the inflammations and treating asthma.
10. It is a very good anti-oxidant spice which fights with the free radicals in the body and enhances the body immunity to better fights with all the infections.
11. It is very beneficial for the women of all age group as it helps in maintaining the healthy menstrual cycle.
12. It is very effective against the cancer and prevents from the colon, stomach, liver and breast cancer as it contains the variety of anti-carcinogenic agents such as thymol, dithymoquinone, thymoquinone, thymohydroquinone and anti-oxidants like eugenol and limonene.
13. Jeera seeds are rich in the Vitamin C and have anti fungal properties thus aids in curing the cold including other respiratory problems.
14. It helps in maintaining the kidney health and metabolism process.
15. Taking jeera water with some ginger soothes the sore throat.
16. It is rich in the flavonoid phenolic anti-oxidants like zea-xanthin, carotenes and lutein which have lots of beneficial effects on the body.
17. It enhances the brainpower and sharpens the memory and intelligence.
18. It maintains the health of the digestive tract and excretory system.
19. It speeds up the digestive processes and reduces the risk of piles.
20. Potassium content available in the jeera maintains the blood pressure and heart rate thus prevents from the hypertension.
21. Taking roasted cumin seeds powder with dahi or lassi helps in treating diarrhea or dysentery problems.
22. Adding roasted cumin seeds in food helps in enhancing the breast milk production during lactation.
24. Coriander or cilantro
Coriander or dhania seeds are another herb in Indian kitchen which has a popular use. Its health benefits are so many. It is also an important ingredient of Indian masala or spices.
1. Coriander seeds contain cineole and linoleic acid, which possess anti-rheumatic and anti-arthritic properties required for reducing the swelling caused due to these two diseases.
2. Coriander seeds help in reducing cholesterol levels in the blood due to the presence of linoleic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid and ascorbic acid.
3. The essential oils in coriander seeds contain certain components that assist in digestion, promote proper functioning of liver and bonding of bowels and help in curing diarrhea.
4. Its unique aroma makes it a great appetizer and provides good benefit to digestive system.
5. The essential oils in coriander are enriched with anti-microbial, antioxidant, anti-infectious and detoxifying components and acids.
6. By acting as a stimulant, coriander seeds regulate the secretion of the hormones and from the endocrine glands. Thus, they help in normalizing menstrual cycles and reducing the pain during menstruation.
With more than 90 minerals and 19 kinds of amino acids wheat grass is known to help body to rejuvenate in various ways. It has high chlorophyll content and an excellent source iron. Following are health benefits of wheatgrass.
1. RBC and WBC counts: The chlorophyll in wheatgrass helps to increase production of hemoglobin in the body. The increased level of hemoglobin facilitates the blood to supply more oxygen.
2. pH Balance: Wheatgrass is an alkaline food supplement which is useful in balancing the pH levels of the body.
3. For Digestion: Wheatgrass is very easy to digest and this is the reason it keeps the colon tract clean. The magnesium components in wheatgrass also relieve constipation.
4. Cures Anemia: Since it has high iron content, it helps in the formation of blood. Therefore, wheatgrass becomes a healthy preference for curing anemia.
5. Cleansing and Detoxifying: Best known for its detoxifying property, wheat grass helps in cleansing colon, detoxifying liver and digestive organs, blood stream and gives stamina to body system. It also provides protection from various cancer causing cells by improving strength of cells.
6. Weight Loss: It helps the body to lose weight faster and reduce obesity. It stimulates thyroid glands and helps in reducing gained weight. You can add wheatgrass powder to shakes and juices.
7. For Cancer patients: Wheatgrass is an excellent detoxifier, it is a good remedy for constipation, hair loss, burning sensation, and cell loss, which are some common side effects of chemotherapy.
8. Treatment of Piles: The blend of many valuable nutrients in wheatgrass makes it a natural treatment for piles or hemorrhoids. Consuming wheatgrass juice twice a day for three months, helps in treating piles naturally.
9. Good for Eye sight: Regular consumption of wheatgrass helps to improve night vision and eyesight.
10. Natural Cure for Diabetes: It postpones the assimilation of carbohydrates, regulates the blood sugar level in the body.
11. Relief from inflammation and pain: Wheatgrass refurbishes the ability of the body to stay healthy and fit.
12. For Tooth Decay: Wheatgrass is equally great in curing oral ailments. Massaging teeth and gums with wheatgrass powder helps in curing gum bleeding and tooth decomposition.
13. Topical application: wheat grass juice helps in itching skin, cuts, burns, athlete’s foot, sores, boils, rashes, poison ivy, and insect stings.
14. Cure for Arthritis: Soak a washcloth in 6 ounces of wheatgrass juice and put it on the affected area. Wrap the area with a plastic bag.
15. Improves Immunity: Many research studies show that drinking wheatgrass juice boosts up endurance and strength, and makes one feel healthy and fit.
16. Removes Heavy Metal: Wheatgrass juice is considered good for removing out heavy metals from the body.
17. Congestion: Inhaling the steam or drinking wheatgrass juice breaks up mucus clears the sinuses.
18. Skin Problems: Inclusion of wheatgrass in daily diet treats acne and removes scars, eczema.
19. Natural Skin Cleanser: Wheatgrass juice can be easily absorbed by the skin. To get clear skin, adding some wheat grass juice with warm water in a tub and soaking the body helps.
20. Gray hair and Dandruff treatment: Massaging wheatgrass juice onto scalp and washing hair after 15 to 20 minutes helps in premature gray hair as well as reducing dandruff.
21. For Sunburn: Soak a cotton ball in wheatgrass juice and dab it on the sun burned skin. Rinse and wash it off after few minutes.
Information collected for this page is from following different sources that are listed below:
Image courtesy: google.com, Wikipedia, Spice board of India
References and to read more please visit:
8. American Holistic Medical Association (AHMA): https://www.aihm.org/