Lipstick safety : Main concern about lipstick is presence of lead. In addition to lead there are other chemicals one should look for in lipstick labels including colorants. FDA is very specific about colors in lipstick. FDA regulates colorants and provides guidance on safe amounts. As consumers we should avoid buying certain harmful ingredients. Five ingredients to avoid in lipstick:
- Parabens: These are estrogen-mimicking ingredients can cause allergic reactions and are considered carcinogenic in high doses.
- Colors: FDA is specific about which colorants can be used in lip and eye makeup. If there is F and D&C in front of color ingredients it means synthetic chemical dye.
- Petroleum and other petrochemicals: Can cause clogged pores, rashes and acne.
- Lead: Can cause health problems from miscarriages to seizures, in children brain damage. Look for one without lead and green version.
- Fragrance or perfume: Do not buy lipsticks that have perfume or fragrance as they cause allergy and severe reactions in lips and mouth.
Published by: HealthyLife | Posted on: February 6, 2019