How to support in a crisis
A person who tried to commit suicide might not be under watch from family or friends. Many times when the crisis happens, families are caught off-guard, unsure and unprepared of what to do. Person who attempted to commit suicide might not be predictable or his behavior would not have showed much change either.
When there is a crisis that happens without family’s knowledge, family and friends should approach the crisis in few ways:
- Talk openly and ask for the reason
- Ask what method or plan he /she would have used? – remove things like sleeping pills, guns, knives, poisons
- Ask what the reason for the attempt is. Don’t try to reason it. Just listen.
- Ask whether the person needs to see a psychiatrist and suggest the name of a psychiatrist
- If you are not alone in the room with the person, then let others ask questions one by one. While one person asking question, let others listen and note answers
- Do not threaten, argue or raise your voice with victim
- Do not debate about suicide topic
- Be patient, stay calm. If you are nervous try not to pace.
Author: Sumana Rao | Posted on: October 13, 2019