Indian turmeric offers several health benefits. It is respected world wide for its power house health ingredients that is responsible to cure many conditions. Do you know, apart from turmeric powder one can also use turmeric root for culinary purposes? Today we are presenting two spicy recipes in which turmeric root is main ingredient -Turmeric root chutney and turmeric root pickle
Ingredients for turmeric root chutney
- Turmeric roots – 8 one inch pieces
- Cocount – ¾ cup
- Jaggery – 1 Tbsp
- Tamarind – 1 inch
- Red chilli – 6
- Chenna daal – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Green chilli -1 small
- Asafetida – pinch
- For seasoning: Oil, mustard, curry leaves, black gram (1/4 tsp), red chilli – 1
- Wash and remove turmeric root skin and cut into small pieces
- In a pan, heat1 tsp oil and fry turmeric pieces to crisp and raw smell should disappear
- Allow it to cool.
- Now, fry red chilli and chenna daal to golden brown. Allow it to cool.
- Add fried turmeric pices, chenna daal and red chillis to grinder with tamarind, jaggery, asafetida, salt and grated coconut. Add ½ cup water and coarse grind the contents. If needed add little more water.
- Transfer grinded turmeric chutney to a vessel.
- Heat 2 tsp oil for seasoning. Add mustard, curry leaves and red chilli. Allow seasoning to cool and transfer to turmeric chutney
- Serve turmeric chutney with rice, roti or bread
- Grated turmeric root – 1 cup
- Green chillis – 6
- Lemon juice – ¼ cup
- Split mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- For seasoning: 1 tsp oil, mustard seeds, few curry leaves
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Wash and remove turmeric root skin
- Grate turmeric root or chop into small pieces.
- Grate ginger and add it to turmeric root pieces. Mix well and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- In a frying pan add fenugreek seed and dry fry till turn golden brown color. Allow it cool and coarse crush the seeds. Keep it aside.
- Place frying pan on medium heat, add 1 tsp oil, ½ tsp mustard seeds, curry leaves followed by asafetida. Allow it to cool.
- In a bowl now add grated turmeric, ginger mix, lemon juice, green chillies, salt, split mustard seeds. Mix well.
- Add crushed fenugreek seeds mix well and transfer seasoning, continue mixing.
- Transfer turmeric root pickle to airtight jar and store in refrigerator.
- Serve the pickle with curd rice, pulav, bread, roti etc.
Published by: Sumana Rao | Posted on: September 19, 2018