Guduchi is also known as Amruthaballi or Giloy has gained lot of attention in recent years because of its valuable health benefits. Botanical name for this plant is Tinospora cardifolia.
Plant has fleshy aerial roots, heart shaped leaves with yellow flowers. Amruta means “heaven’s nector” that cures various types of conditions. It is an ancient, powerful and divine plant that is one of the very importnat medicinal plant used in Ayurveda.
No wonder the plant is called Amruthaballi. It is also known as Jivanti, means life giver. In Ayurveda it is considered to be one of the best rejuvenating plant.
Amruthaballi is commonly grows in deciduous and dry forest. It is a climber. All parts of the plant is udes for various medicinal purposes. It contains many phytochemicals – dierpenoid, cordifol, tinosporin, cardifolide, glycosides etc .
Both stem and root of Guduchi provide tremendous benefits for human health.
Amruthaballi’s health benefits are listed below:
- It is a good antioxidant and has following properties – antitumor, hypoglycemic, anti microbial, diuretic, hepatoprotective, antipyretic
- Immune booster – used as an herbal tonic to fight against many chronic conditions
- Detoxyfier of liver – helps in protecting liver health – good for treating liver disorders including hepatitis. Guduchi satva or guduchi sugar is a powder made from its stem. It helps in strengthening liver.
- Blood purifier – good for anemia, cardiac debility
- It enhances memory power and for both adults and children
- It also delays signs of aging and gives rejuvenating look
- Helps in skin health, improves skin complexion. – Good for wounds, gout, psoriasis. Reduces allergies
- Good medicine of diabetic condition – lowers blood sugar level
- Supports nervous system function
- Reduces constipation and fatigue
- Reduces fever, promotes vitality – About 1-2 gram of pepper, honey and 20 mil juice of guduchi should be mixed and taken twice a day reduces fever.
- Guduchi tea is very soothing drink and is a stress buster.
- Another traditional use of Amruthaballi is people use it in eye diseases. Mixed with triphala of Ayurveda, peepal powder and honey is taken two times a day to improve eyesight.
- Guduchi is helpful in controlling tuberculosis. Malabar nut or Justicia adhatoda, dashamool powder, balamool (Sida cordifolia) winter cherry all these together with guduchi helps to manage tuberculosis.
- Urinary disorder – Guduchi juice helps in urinary disorder as a diuretic, antiperiodic and reduces infections. Ceratostigma or leadwort with guduchi decoction helps in this condition.
- Indigestion: Guduchi juice with pippali taken two times a day reduces indigestion and helps in food digestion. One can also consume guduchi with amlapowder and buttermilk to reduce indigestion.
- For arthritis: Guduchi stem boiled in milk and consumed, helps in controlling arthritis.
- Reduces asthma: Chest tightness, shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing can be controlled by chewing guduchi roots.
As such there are no serious side -effects when someone consumes this plant. However it can cause constipation and lower blood sugar. If you are taking any medication then consult your doctor before taking Amruthaballi.
Author: HealthyLife | Posted on: September 20, 2017